Access to Success, which is funded through our Community Service Block Grant (CSBG), is intended to empower the client and establishes a foundation for upward mobility towards self-sufficiency, transitioning them out of poverty. Access to Success Program is available to all residents of Hidalgo County over the age of 18, who are interested in pursuing and/or enhancing their professional skills and certification to improve transition out of poverty employment attainment. The program’s mission is to assist eligible applicants with educational expenses and incentives in order to gain skills and attain transitional employment.
Access to Success Consists of:
- Detailed household assessments in order to identify needs for determining eligibility and goal setting.
- The client or head of household mutually enters into an agreement with our Case Study Worker, sharing and committing to the responsibilities set forth in the agreement.
- Through case management, the client is provided continued guidance on self-improvement, budgeting, job readiness/search and valuable linkages to other programs.
- Case management will continue past 90 days after a client has acquired a salary that has transitioned the household out of poverty to assure the support system needed for full achievement.
Program Eligibility Requirements
Income eligibility parameters will be set by state and or federal regulations. Income eligibility parameters will be set by the Federal Poverty Level of 125% or below. In order to determine qualification into the Access to Success Program, applicants must submit the following documentation:
- A completed CSBG Application
- Check stubs for the past 30 days for every working individual in the household
- 2023 Award letter for any benefits or child support received in the household
- Current Electric Bill
- Current Gas Bill
- Picture Identification for all adults in the household
- A copy of social security cards and birth certificates for all household members
- A copy of the applicants
- high school diploma
- college transcript
- acceptance letter to post-secondary or vocational program
- breakdown of program fees
- financial aid award letter
- any previously obtained certifications
- 2 letters of recommendations from a non-family member
Participation and good standing in the Access to Success Program will qualify the participant for certain pre-qualified incentives. These incentives are merited through performance and commitment toward educational, employment, and service plan goals. Good standing is measured through academic performance, GPA standards, participation in Access to Success, and commitment to long-term goals. Incentives may include the following:
- 50% of tuition expenses (Only remaining balance applies)
- $300.00 maximum in assistance in professional training expenses per semester
- $1,000.00 maximum in assistance with book expenses throughout the duration of the program
- $1,000.00 maximum in assistance with testing & uniform expenses throughout the duration of the program
- $500.00 maximum in assistance with supplies expenses throughout the duration of the program
- $50.00 maximum in assistance with gas expenses per month throughout the duration of the program as determined through a needs assessment
- one-time $100.00 voucher for oil change as determined through a needs assessment
- $100.00 gift card for attaining transitional employment
- $100.00 gift card each month for check stub submission at every 30-60-90 check-in
- $500.00 gift card for program completion
The amount of funds authorized for tuition will be based on the educational provider’s cost (tuition and fees) for the current program year; however, a limit will be imposed on the length of time and the aggregate amount of assistance as follows:
Tuition assistance will be determined based on students awarded financial assistance per semester or course of study. The client’s barriers and needs will be identified during the interview process for acceptance into the Access to Success program and additional incentives may be offered.