Behind on rent or utility bills?
The Hidalgo County Rent Relief Program is here to assist.
COVID-19 has affected residents across Hidalgo County. The agency has emergency funds available to assist county renters pay rent and utility bills
(including past due rent and utilities).
For Information, Call Toll-Free:
Monday-Saturday • 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CST • Help is available in multiple languages.
About the Hidalgo County Rent Relief Program
Both landlords and tenants can use this website to create an account and submit their application.
The Hidalgo County Rent Relief Program can help renters with the following costs starting as far back as March 13, 2020.
(this means you could potentially request assistance for up to 11 months of past due bills):
- Past due, current and up to 3 months of expected rent costs
- Past due, current and up to 3 months of expected utility
- After the initial 3 months of forward assistance, you can apply for 3 additional months of assistance if funds are still available
What can I do to get ready?
- Identify which units and households you think qualify.
- Reach out to your tenants with language barriers or tenants with disabilities to make them aware of the program.
- Confirm that the households you have identified meet the eligibility criteria noted below, gather documentation for the household and have it scanned and ready.
- Seek the household’s signature for the application and have it scanned and ready.
All payments will be made directly to the landlord and/or utility provider unless they do not agree to accept the payment. If they do not accept payment, the payment will be made directly to the tenant after 14 days of outreach to the landlord and/or utility provider to confirm their refusal.
A portion of the funds have been set aside specifically for households whose landlords have already sued for eviction in their local court. The application process is the same, and only households in this situation can receive this funding.